Friday, March 29, 2013

How Did the Disciples Die?

Read Acts 12:1-4
Title in NIV: Herod directs James’ execution and Peter’s imprisonment.

1) I have always wondered what happened to the disciples. When I read that James son of Zebedee, the disciple “that Jesus loved”, was killed by Herod Agrippa in Jerusalem about 11 years after Jesus’ death or 44 AD, I decided to study how the other disciples died.

I used several sources. Most accounts are handed down by tradition. One did not even agree with what the Bible said happened to Judas---so web sites are not all that accurate. I would love to get a map and plot where they preached, too.

2) Andrew preached in modern day Georgia and Bulgaria. Tradition has it that he was crucified on an olive tree at Patrae, Greece.

3) Bartholomew preached in India. Tradition has it that he was crucified with his head downward.

4) John died in Patmos in his old age between 89 AD and 120 AD.

5) Judas hung himself after Jesus’ death. Matthew 27:5  (A web site said he flung himself down a mountain and was torn to pieces AND it gave the Matthew verse. Odd!)

6) Matthew died of old age in Parthia. The book of Matthew was written about 20 years after Jesus’ death. Tradition says he was martyred in Ethiopia.

7) Philip was crucified with his head downward, tradition says, in present day Turkey. You can visit his tomb in Hierapolis. 

8) Peter was crucified with his head downward as he wanted. He felt he was not worthy to die in the same manner as Jesus. He and Paul died at the same time which was 33 or 34 years after Jesus’ death. 67 AD or 68 AD.

9) Simon the Zealot (Canaanite) tradition says, died of old age at 120 years old.

10) Thaddaeus died of old age or was martyred. Tradition says his tomb is in present day Iran.

11) Thomas was thrust through with a spear in all four members of his body. But, when is a mystery. The Latin church says December 21st, the Greek church says October 6th, and the Indians say July 1st.

12) James of Alphaeus was stoned in Jerusalem and I’ll spare you the gory details I found.

On that last note, a verse comes to mind: Matthew 10:28: “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.” Vs. 32 “Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in Heaven. But whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in heaven.” Vs. 38 “and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.”

No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...