Thursday, June 28, 2012

Do You Take the EASY or HARD Way?

Read: Acts 1:15-26
Title in NIV: Selection of Matthias to replace Judas.

Psalm 41:9 says, “Even my close friend, whom I  trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me.” I love my close friends dearly, but realizing people always disappoint is just the truth. However, we can always trust God. He never breaks his promises. He never makes up lies about us. He does not put us to shame. He never talks about us behind our back. He never hurts us.

Psalm goes on to say, “But, you O Lord, have mercy on me; raise me up…” (and He does). The Holy Spirit spoke through David. David’s words came from the wisdom of God and they were fulfilled when Judas betrayed Jesus.

Peter recalls two old testament verses, Psalm 69:25 and Psalm 109:8, that describes what Judas did and what needed to be done.

We should do that too: go to scripture to find what we need. Comfort (2 Cor 1:3-7). Encouragement (Heb 13:5, 1Peter 2:6, Eph 3:18) etc., etc. I should do that more often. I should apply scripture to my life situations. There is a story or verse to guide you in every situation you go through in life. How often do you tap into God’s wisdom and power. How often do you intentionally ask yourself, “What would Jesus do?” or “Holy Spirit change my attitude and heart toward so-n-so.” I know it is much easier and more natural to wallow in the bitterness and anger and hold on to resentment. (Read ‘What I Have Learned So Far’ below).

The remaining disciples tapped into the Holy Spirit and choose another disciple. They prayed first, “Lord you know every ones heart. Show us which of these tow you have chosen to take over this apostolic ministry…” Pray before every situation.

Discussion Question: Why did they need 12? Anyone..anyone!

Let me pray for you… Dear Lord, guide the one reading this to do great things through the Holy Spirit today. Break down the walls of fear, timidity, trepidation and pride so your work can be done through the Holy Spirit. Grow the Holy Spirit in their heart. Help them to hold out the Word to others so they may have a chance to be added to your Kingdom. In Jesus name, Amen.

Story: While on vacation, my son left something on the wall we were sitting on. We drove away in the taxi to our hotel. While packing, he realized his precious possession was gone. He cried. When we left, we drove by the wall. He and his dad jumped out to see if it was still there and, believe it or not, it was. My son was so happy. He said, “I prayed for it to be there and it was!.” Tap into the Holy Spirit’s power in every situation.

No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...