Saturday, April 11, 2015

What Does It Look Like to Have a Heart Like Jesus? (Introduction)

How I Chose this Topic.

For the last few months I have been preparing for my next blog. The topic has been percolating in the back of my brain. I have made many pages of notes in a notebook. I think some topics may be somewhat controversial, even among Christians because some take a Scripture and say, “See, I am right.” Some take an opposite view, find a Scripture  and say, “See, I am right.” (I'll discuss the attitude that demands 'my way is correct' later.)

I received a devotional from Max Lucado in my inbox that explains the concept in this blog perfectly. He posed this question: “What if, for one day, Jesus were to become you? His priorities would be governing your actions. His love would be directing your behavior. Would people notice a change? How about your enemies? Would they receive more mercy?” Ponder this thought: If my actions were totally governed by Jesus' character...what would I look like to others. How would I act toward others?

 I love how God works and lets me know I am headed in the right direction concerning my writing. The devo I received from Max is one of those "God Wink" moments for me. Can you discern God winking at you? In the past month, a dear friend asked me if God speaks to me. God winked. We had a wonderful conversation. I hope my words and thoughts were what Jesus would have told him. Another group of friends I admire asked my advice and opinion on some scriptural issues. I was honored to reply. God winked. Then, in a Bible study, one woman commented that I am such a deep thinker while another woman praised a blog post she read. It was my blog and she did not know that. God winked. It makes me uncomfortable even mentioning those things. I strive to not feed the 'look at me' attitude, but I think it illustrates my journey in selecting this topic.  Everything is pointing to doing this topic. 

The next couple of weeks, I’ll be exploring what it looks like to have a heart like Jesus. There are many verses that implore us to be like Christ. What does being like Christ looks like? I will take into consideration Scripture that focuses on His character and how we should immolate that character. I don't intend to pull out Scripture to fit my topic and if I do, please call me out!

These are some of the verses I found encouraging us to be like Christ. 

1) 1 John 2:6 This is how we know we are in Him: Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

2) 1 Peter 2:21 To this you were called because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his steps.

3) Ephesians 5:1-2 Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant and sacrifice to God.

4) 2 Corinthians 3:18 And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

5) Ephesians 4:11-13 ...become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. 

6) Galatians  4:19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth util Christ is formed in you...

7) 2 Peter 1:4-9 add to your faith goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, love.

8) 1 Corinthians 13:1-13 fruit (character) Jesus has and love is... patient, kind, it does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud, it does not dishonor others, it is self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs, does not delight in evil, rejoices in the truth, always protects, always perseveres

9) Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the patterns of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will.

10) 1 Thessalonians 1:6-7 You become imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcome the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. And so you become a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia.

11) John 9:4 As long as it is day, I must do the work of him who sent me...
12) Matthew 5:21 Beatitudes is about doing MORE than the command lays out on stone.. like Jesus did.


Blessings! 


No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...