Friday, May 2, 2014

Is God Pro-Choice?

One Sunday, my Bible teacher posed this question: Is God Pro-Choice? My brow furrowed as I pondered that question. My mind immediately went to the political realm and the pro-life vs. pro-choice argument for the unborn. (I bet yours did too) To me, if you are not pro-life, you are saying you are pro-death (even if personally you would not choose death yourself, you don't mind if others do). Pro-choice just makes people feel better and is a more 'politically correct' word. Kinda like the word 'sin'. No one uses that word anymore.

 My initial thought was, "No, God is not pro-choice." However, as the teacher kept explaining the concept, I realized, God is absolutely pro-choice. But it is more...God is Pro-Good Choice.

Let me clarify. God gave us free will. He wants us to choose him. However, he will not force us to choose any of his commandments. He is not a dictator. His love for us is shown in the fact that he allows us to choose for ourselves who and what we will serve. Even Joshua said, "choose this day whom you will serve. As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15).

Deuteronomy 11 is a chapter about making choices. Verse 26 and 27 read, "See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse..." In Deuteronomy 30 says, "Now what I am commanding you today is not too difficult for you or beyond your reach.... I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction."

 Deuteronomy 30:19, "Now choose life, so that you and your children may live and that you may love the Lord your God, listen to his voice, and hold fast to him. For the Lord is your life."

So choose this day whom you will serve. Choose life or death, blessings or curses, prosperity or destruction.

God is Pro-Good Choice!




No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...