Thursday, March 6, 2014

Woes in Matthew (part 6) How Do You Infuse Jesus In Your Heart?

Matthew 23:25-26
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

Jesus wants us to be concerned with both inside and outside. Too often we are overly concerned and committed to the outside while neglecting the inside...which by the way reflects on the outside. (I hear echos of last weeks blog.) Jesus stresses that the outside will look better only if the inside is better. Outward expression begins with what is in our heart. Words come from the inside. Looks come from the inside. Body language comes from the inside. It all starts from the inside and seeps out of our being for all to see...whether we want them to or not.

Is there a certain way you 'clean' your insides?

Jesus prepared for his ministry by going into the wilderness for 40 days. What an appropriate time for this post. Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent leading up to Easter. Lent lasts for 40 days. Lent is a time of preparation for many Christians through prayer, repentance, atonement and self-denial. It is not commanded that we participate in Lent, but what a good way to let Jesus know we are on his side AND we will follow his example AND we will sacrifice our desires for the 'better' stuff he has for us.

I have fasted a couple of times in my life. You never forget the reason why you sacrificed your need for nutrition. My heart is often heavy for those who deny God and when I cannot speak to them, I let God speak to me in the quietness and submission of fasting. My experiences, while it may not have affected the person my heart was heavy for, (although who knows how God is working behind the scenes), confirmed Who I live for, confirmed Who cares for me, confirmed my importance in His Kingdom and helps me gain strength to press on in times of rejection.

Cleaning the inside may mean denying some of our outward comforts. How are you willing to declare who you follow?

No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...