Monday, December 23, 2013

Don't Worry About the Repercussions

I am a big movie line fan. Thanks to my mom and uncle, I keep up with movies, characters and lines from movies often. We even play the Six Degrees to Kevin Bacon on occasion. This Phil Robertson issue and all the comments made me think of several movie lines.

One: From The American President with Michael Douglas: “You want free speech? Let’s see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who’s standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn the flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms.”

I don’t think it is beneficial to silence other’s opinions. Other’s points of views have actually made me stronger in my faith and belief. I filter everything through the Word of God which is Truth. When opposed, I study more so I can defend the Truth. I pray more for people’s hearts. In fact, I get closer to God when I hear things that are opposite from Truth. We should be able to speak peaceable about what we think with no consequences such as Wendy Davis who spoke 13 hours supporting abortion. She did not get consequences. It may have even boosted her chanced of getting elected. Phil should have the same respect.

 1 Cor 2:13-14 “This is what we [Christians] speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom, but in words taught by Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God [Truth], for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because the are spiritually discerned.”

            The next movie line that came to mind is from A Few Good Men: “You can’t handle the truth.” It all comes down to the question: Who do you follow? The worldly, selfish, arrogant nature (that is in all of us by-the-way) or the Spirit and the Word of Truth? Worldly people see Truth as foolishness. Do you follow worldly standards that change often or God’s Word that never changes? It is harder to follow the Word that never changes because you know you will be opposed at some point and have to stand firm like Phil. (Oh, Please do not shrink back or apologize or white-wash over it!) How do you handle the Truth?

            Phil said, “...we are not worried about all the repercussions.” We need to get to the point in our life with Jesus where we can say that, too!


Blessings and let me know what you think.

No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...