Thursday, February 12, 2015

Does Anyone 'Get' My Kid?

Does Anyone 'Get' My Kid?

For several years I have longed for a champion teacher to 'get' my kid. My kid is unique, like all kids. My kid is ME all over again. Now I know what I put my mom through. Sorry Mom, for all those late nights and times we cried together doing spelling. I knew them when I left home but somewhere between the bus and the desk I lost it all out of my brain. Sorry that I did not get a math concept and you had to read my books and learn it so you could teach me. Sorry you had to grade my work and wake me up extra early to do corrections before I left for school. I know how you feel because I am doing the same thing with my kid. Thank you, Mom, for being my champion! Even until 10th grade you checked my work until I was mature enough and my brain was developed enough to latch on to all the math concepts, memorizations and reading rules. My other champion was Dr. Butler who tested me at Texas Tech University and told me I was smart, I just needed time to mature and figure it out on Erin-time.


So, back to my original question, does anyone 'get' my kid? 


1) Like me, when I was his age, he needs activity. Sitting in a classroom all day is not conducive to his learning style.
He needs movement. I know it is hard to have movement during reading and math and some science. I taught school for seven years. Two of those were in sixth, seventh and eighth grade teaching special education reading. My husband was always shocked I, of all people, was teaching reading. I know activity for these subjects seems opposite of the way it has always been done, but my kid is not a kid like you have ever seen. He is special and unique and he needs activity. I used to make him run around our kitchen island, say a sight word, and repeat. Activity! 


2) Sarcasm does not stimulate my kid to do better. Actually the opposite occurs. He assimilate sarcasm as putdowns and ways to say, "You are dumb", "Why can't you get this" and "You are an idiot for not understanding". I know this because he calls himself an idiot, dumb and shameful. It breaks my heart! Where is my champion who says, "You can do this", "Let me help", "We will do this together till we figure it out", and "I'm on your side and you're okay". I don't think he hears the hurtful words at school, but  his brain turns any sarcasm into darts that pierce his soul.


3) More is not necessarily more. My kid has over 10 hours of school a day. Eight and a half at school and more than two every night at our kitchen table. Study show that kids learn better after 9 AM (educationnext.org/doschoolsbegintoearly/finleyedwards). Studies show more activity, not less, help kids better learn in school. James Sallis, a professor of family and preventative medicine at the University of California in San Diego, says, "children who are more active show greater attention, have faster cognitive processing speed, and preform better on standardized academic tests than children who are less active." Did you hear about the school in Florida that took out recess and PE to study for 'that test'? That is the opposite of what child development, biologist, achievement centers like the Brain Balance Center, Dr. Butler at Texas Tech, psychologist, counselors, health teachers, (I could go on and on) say kids need to stimulate their brain for learning. Where is the balance? After each subject, my kid gets to run around outside about 10 minutes before we tackle another subject.


My hope is that all this hard work, tears, redos on papers, extra time at school and at our kitchen table is developing and maturing his perseverance skills, his character, and his attitude for when he leaves my nest. Looking back, I can see the benefits of my struggle. After 10th grade I started doing work on my own without my mom checking it first. I made the National Honor Society as a Senior. I knew how to study in college and made good grades. I even made the Dean's list once. I became a Speech Language Pathology for a year and continued my studies to teach reading in junior high special education. I helped set up two preschool programs before I had kids myself. Now I am a writer (who knew!), a speaker, a blogger and I teach my favorite age, 2-year-olds. 


So, I have turned out a okay thanks to some champions in my life who stuck with me through the tears and the pain and even more than some failures. I pray that one day (let it be soon dear Lord) I can look back and say I was my son's champion along with the BBC (Kendall!!!!) and anyone else who steps up in his life and decides to be in his corner. He is special and unique and a bundle of fun and energy. He loves the Lord and I see glimpses of greatness. Right NOW, is molding his future. 

1 comment:

Michael said...

Jesus "gets" him! ..and we do too! He's a great young man who is going to go far in life. I'm so glad that he is part of our big "family"!

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...