Thursday, October 30, 2014

My Opinion About Your Opinions

I have opinions that are mine. They are not wrong. They might be different from your opinions. It might shock you to know that I don’t think your opinions are wrong either; just different. Just because I state my opinions, like I did recently in a FB post, does not mean I dislike you. It does not mean I don’t want to have any contact with you. It does not mean I won't go to lunch with you or invite you to my house.

There are several ways to absorb life. I filter my circumstances, beliefs, opinions and actions through the Word of God. To me, the Word is constant and never changing. One example, when someone gets hurt by another person, the answer is always to forgive. There is no situation in the Word that gives me the right to not forgive…none.   

Other ways to screen life’s situations is through experiences, feelings and what other people say. When life is evaluated through these ever changing areas, it is different for everyone because every one has different experiences, different feelings and different philosophies about reacting. This generates more than several answers to the above scenario of what to do when someone hurts you.

I do not think I am perfect. I may not always choose to react with the Word in mind. I am human, after all.  I mess up everyday. I struggle with gossip, bitterness and judging others by my own standards; I admit it. I struggle with the feeling that “I don’t do enough for God, I don’t do enough for my family, I don’t do enough at my congregation, I don’t do enough on my devotional book, I don’t write my blog as consistent as I should.” I think these things everyday.

I am quite sure I have faults that even I am not aware of. I know people who grip about a situation and it is exactly what they did a week ago.I don't want to do that, but I know I am blind to my shortcomings. I find prayer and grace work best for others. I would like grace and prayer for myself as well because I am in need of both.

So, just because I state my position on something I happen to believe, it might just be because I need to say it once because I don’t want someone with a different opinion to misinterpret my silence as agreement or condoning the same. I guess you will know where you stand with me if you have a relationship with me long enough and give it a chance. For example, I watched a video about the released of the first Atheist TV Channel. (I watch and read a plethora of things from all different beliefs and backgrounds, by the way.) The comments from Christians, no less, were deplorable. My comment was that the Christians were blowing it and that I would love to sit down and have lunch with David Silverman. I also have friends that I spend time with that are homosexuals, that have stolen from the church, that have spread hurtful gossip, that have caused people to leave the church, that have stabbed people I love in the back and I associate with them all the time. 

I guess my point to all this is that we are all sinners and we all need transformation. If we accept some that we deem morally on par with our self and deny others because we feel morally superior, we will constantly be in a revolving door of relationships that have no foundation; if we choose to be in those relationships at all. 

Ask yourself these questions: Can you spend time with people you do not agree with? Can you invite them to your house for dinner? Can you make your stand on social media with out being hateful. What does making horrible comments to those you don't agree with on social media really accomplish? What does making those demoralizing comments really show about your character? Does stating what you believe mean you are intolerant of other views? Where does the love come in? Is it only reserved for the people who agree with you religiously, politically and morally (based on your definition of moral-it is different for everyone).

I choose to have relationships based on a foundation rooted in the unchanging Word. “Love your neighbor as yourself,” Matthew 22:39. “Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought,” Romans 12:3. “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather in humility, value others above yourself,” Philippians 2:3. So basically, I'm saying we can still be friends and spend time together. 

Blessings!


No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...