Thursday, September 19, 2013

If You Knew You Were Leaving Forever...What Would You Say?

Read Acts 20:13-38
Title in NIV: Paul gives a farewell message to the Ephesian elders.

How would you say goodbye if you were leaving a place where you spread the good news about Jesus and wanted to encourage them to continue in the faith? I think of missionaries going home after a long period abroad. 

Paul went to Miletus and sent for the elders in Ephesus. When they came he spoke to them about witnessing, discipleship, prophecy, love, sin and salvation.

About discipleship he said: I lived with you for a long time.  I served the Lord with great humility and with tears although I was tested by the plots of the Jews. I have not coveted anyone’s gold or silver or clothing. My hands have supplied my own needs for myself and my companions. In 2 Corinthians 11, Paul talks about how he was not a burden to anyone.

About witnessing he said: I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house. I have declared to the Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and faith in our Lord Jesus. Now, I am going to witness in Jerusalem. Who knows what will happen to me there. However, my life is worth nothing to me. I just want to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me of testifying the gospel of God’s grace. I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God, therefore I am innocent of the blood of all men.
I never stopped warning you for 3 years night and day with tears.

My thought: Paul held out the gospel and spoke of the good new to all men and he is confident that he tried to snatch them away from the fire (Jude 23). I shutter to think of all the one’s I passed up when I could have held out life to them. Dear Lord, forgive me!

About prophecy he said: In every city the Holy Spirit warned me about prison and hardships that I am facing.

About commandments he said: Keep watch over yourselves and the flock of which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers. Be shepherds of the church of God, which he bought with his own blood.

About sin he said: When I leave, wolves will come in among you and not spare the flock. Even from your own number, men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them. Be on your guard.

About salvation he said: I commit you to God and to the word of his grace, which can build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.


About love he said: I showed you by this hard work we must help the weak, remembering what the Lord said, “It is more blessed to give than receive.” They all wept as they embraced Paul and kissed him. They knew they would not see him again and it grieved them. Paul had to tear himself away from them to get on the ship.

Well, at some point, we are all leaving forever...from this earth. Leave a legacy of hope and faith for the next generation.

Blessings!

No comments:

So glad you found me!  Steeped In Purpose has moved to a better location to serve you! www.steepedinpurpose.net You can still find great...